Following the opening of Catalunya’s reincarnation as La Rambla by Catalunya, we asked executive chef Ferran Tadeo to mark the occasion with a signature recipe from his new menu. For the most ambitious of hobby chefs, the Avocado & Lobster Roll is sure to astound dinner party guests with a roulade composed of a layered avocado exterior encasing a core of fresh lobster meat, topped with salmon roe and placed on a rich lobster sauce with ponzu gelee.
See more: T.Dining reviews La Rambla by Catalunya
- 1 whole lobster*
- 1 avocado
For lobster filling
- 100g mayonnaise
- 1 shallot, chopped finely
For garnish and sauce
- 20g ponzu sauce
- 2g paprika
- 5g nyora pepper OR nora paste (Spanish pepper)
- 2pcs garlic clove, minced
- Cooking oil
- 20g brandy
- 100g water
- 10g sesame oil
- 10g salmon caviar
- 2g caviar (any kind)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
Tip: Don’t throw away lobster head; you will need it for the lobster sauce.
STEP 1: COOKING THE LOBSTER
- Prepare an ice bath for chilling the lobster after cooking*
- Boil the lobster for 7 minutes, making sure to place it in head first.
- Immediately place the cooked lobster in the prepared ice bath and chill for 2 minutes to prevent overcooking.
STEP 2: LOBSTER FILLING
- Remove the claw and tail meat from the shell once the lobster has chilled sufficiently.
- Cut claw and tail meat into small pieces (exclude meat from the head).
- Place the lobster meat in a bowl and mix in the mayonnaise along with the chopped shallots and mix evenly.
- Season the lobster mixture to your desired taste with salt and pepper.
STEP 3: LOBSTER SAUCE
- 1 lobster head
- 2pcs garlic clove
- 20g brandy
- 100g water
- 5g nyora Pepper OR nora paste (Spanish pepper)
- Cut the reserved lobster head in half and sauté in oil with minced garlic.
- When the garlic starts to take color, add the nyora pepper OR nora paste along with paprika and brandy.
- Cook until the brandy starts to reduce, then add water and boil for 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Place to the side and use later.
STEP 4: AVOCADO
- Thinly slice avocado (use mandolin if necessary)
- Lay avocado slices onto parchment paper layer by layer, slightly overlapping each other.
STEP 5: ASSEMBLING THE ROLL
- Take the thinly sliced layered avocado on the parchment paper and place the lobster mixture down the centre of the avocado.
- Using the parchment paper, lift and roll the avocado slices around the lobster meat to form a filled tube.
- Give a gentle squeeze to make sure the avocado encases the lobster meat.
- Remove parchment paper and place onto the final plate, ready for garnish and saucing.
STEP 6: FINISHING & GARNISH
- Place salmon caviar on top of the roll along with the additional, optional caviar
- Place lobster sauce and ponzu sauce around the avocado roll and drizzle with sesame oil to finish.